Preventing Accidental Pet Poisoning

SACRAMENTO-

For a dog, nothing is sacred. They’ll eat just about anything;  human food, garbage, water from the toilet, they’ll even eat poison.

Veterinarians at UC Davis have seen an increase in dogs becoming ill from ingesting rat poison.

“The poison is very effective at killing rats”, said Dr. Karl Jandrey.

But unfortunately, “it kills everything.”

Dr. Jandrey told FOX40 that for a dog, rat poison can actually be quite flavorful. The poison is usually dyed blue and if a dog eats it, they can vomit and even leave behind blue waste.

“The poisoning causes an interruption in the ability to clot. Their symptoms are bleeding, and the bleeding can happen anywhere in their body.” he said.

Dr. Jandrey also told FOX40 that he treats dogs about ten times more frequently than cats. Mostly, he says, because cats tend to pickier eaters.

If you think your pet might have ingested poison, seek medical treatment from a professional veterinarian immediately.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s