Beat the System: Foods That Never Go Bad
The average American family spends about $6,000 a year on food.
That same family wastes more than $2,000 a year on groceries that go bad. There is a chance though, those foods aren’t bad at all. Believe it or not, there are some foods out there that can outlive all of us.
In this Beat the System, we’ll tell you about 5 foods that will last forever.
1. Sugar: White, brown, powered or plain it really doesn’t matter because bacteria can’t grow in it. The secret to making it last is making it airtight.
2. Salt: Bacteria can’t grow in salt either because there isn’t enough moisture for it to grow.
3. Rice: Buy 1 pound or 50 pounds it doesn’t matter, it’ll keep until you want to cook it. The only exception is brown rice and that’s because its got a higher oil content, so keep it in the refrigerator or freezer until you want to use it.
4. Honey: It doesn’t matter what it looks like even if it’s grainy, crystallized or changes color. Just heat it up a little and it’s good as new.
5. Liquor: We’re talking about distilled alcohol like Gin or Rum to name two. As to whether or not it tastes better if you keep it in the freezer .. that’s a matter of personal taste.