Fire Damages Modesto Motel for 3rd Time in 3 Years
A fire ripped through a Modesto motel early Thursday morning for the third time in three years, displacing ten people.
The two-alarm fire started at the 9-unit Shiva’s Motel on 9th Street near Highway 99 around 2:30 a.m.
The last time a fire took place at the motel was just six months ago.
A battalion chief said a woman in the motel had lit a candle to keep warm and fell asleep. The candle is believed to have tipped over, causing the blankets to catch on fire. She tried using clothes to smother the flames, which caused the fire to spread.