Emergency Crews Urge Caution after Man Bitten by Rattlesnake

snakePATTERSON-

It’s rattle snake season.

A 50-year-old man in Patterson has already been bit. He was collecting cans off of the I-5 exit ramp in Patterson when one got him on the ankle.

“[He was] bitten on the ankle by a rattle snake. He said he had the snake in a bag. You could defiantly hear it rattling in the bag he had a pretty good little bite,” said David Hohl, a captain with Patterson Fire Department.

By the time paramedics got to him, the bruising and swelling had begun. The man had to travel on bike from I-5 all the way to the CVS, more than two miles away for help.

He would have gotten help first but before he got to CVS, he was denied aid.

“He tried to call 911, he didn’t have a phone, and the people he asked wouldn’t let them use their phone,” said Hohl.

The man is expected to recover, but with snake season upon us, Hohl says people need to stay out of the grass when they are along roads because that is snake territory.

“It’s not uncommon up in the canyon to see dozens of them,” said Hohl.

Smaller snakes are also the most dangerous, their venom is more concentrated, according to Hohl.

If you are bitten try and bring the snake with you to the doctor so they know how to treat your would. The most important thing is time, the quicker you are given the right medicine the better you will be.

1 Comment

  • ReptileRescue

    I'm sorry, but Captain Hohl is incorrect. Smaller rattlesnakes are not more dangerous than adult rattlesnakes. This is the NUMBER ONE old wives tale that educators like myself hear. I can refer the captain to several experts on the subject , if it helps. I teach classes on rattlesnakes, to everyone from cub scouts to first responders. The last line in this story is the most correct — time is tissue, get medical help as soon as possible. If you have an envenomed bite by a rattlesnake, you will need antivenom (Crofab) as soon as possible.

    Cheers,

    Laurie

Comments are closed.