Where to Watch FOX40 News During the World Cup

Fake, Scam Social Media Accounts Sprout Up after Boston Terror Attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Two explosions Monday at the Boston Marathon killed three people and injured dozens more.


In the aftermath of dramatic events like Monday’s bombing attack at the Boston Marathon, it’s a truth of our times that millions of people will get early bits of news via social media.

To be sure, sites like Twitter and Facebook were used extensively by police, relief groups and governments to share important information about the bombings. But there’s also a more unfortunate side to how the Web responds to sudden bad news.

A Twitter account sprouted up under the handle @_BostonMarathon. Posing as the organizers of the race, whoever is behind the account tweeted: “For every retweet we receive we will donate $1 to the #BostonMarathon victims #PrayForBoston.”

By Monday evening, the post had been retweeted more than 50,000 times.

It was, of course, fake. And to its credit, Twitter disabled the account soon afterward.

It wasn’t the only Twitter phony. Another widely talked-about account, @Hope4Boston, shared both the image of the 8-year-old girl who supposedly died and a photo of a young boy, running in a race, who was another supposed victim.

Eight-year-old Martin Richard was one of three confirmed fatalities as of Tuesday morning. But he was watching the race, waiting for his father to finish — not running in it.

The “Hope for Boston” account was created on March 24, according to the Web tool When Did You Join Twitter? But account holders are able to change their handles and names on the site.

Authorities shut down cell phone service

Reports flew around social media, mainly Twitter, on Monday that police in Boston had shut down cellular networks to prevent an attacker from using a cell phone to detonate another explosive. At least one media report quoted an unnamed source with information to that effect, before later recanting.

In truth, Boston’s wireless network was simply overwhelmed with the volume of calls and other communications in the aftermath of the attack. Service was slow and spotty, but never shut down. Verizon and other mobile carriers confirmed they’d never been contacted by officials asking them to shut off service.

Soon after the bombings, mobile carriers were beefing up their networks in the Boston area. AT&T made its Wi-Fi system publicly available for free to help take the load off traditional phone lines.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • brewskydoodle

    From what I can see from reading around, there is a cell associated with these bombers who are creating and uploading content to deliberately cause confusion and doubt in the minds of social media users. I believe what we area seeing is a new battle on the terrorism front, one for hearts and minds. I also believe that cell members were on the ground acting as decoys to lead police astray during the night of the chase in Watertown.