Sacramento Patient Tests Negative for Ebola Virus

Sacramento Offer “in the Ballpark”; Decision Still Weeks Away

david stern, nba, kings

David Stern takes reporters’ questions following the Board of Governors’ meetings in New York, April 19.
Courtesy: NBA

NEW YORK CITY-

The NBA says there is nothing wrong with Sacramento’s offer to keep the Kings and build a new arena and entertainment complex. However, an answer on the future of the team is still a few weeks away.

After covering other business issues in his formal remarks, NBA Commissioner David Stern took a barrage of questions from reporters about the competing Sacramento and Seattle offers for the Kings.

He said the Sacramento offer was “in the ballpark” of Seattle’s, a positive sign following Stern’s statements last month that the offers were not close.

Although the Maloof brothers have not signed the Sacramento offer, the NBA’s committee has accepted it.

When asked specifically if there was anything wrong with Sacramento’s offer to keep the team, Stern said simply, “No”. But then went on to say it is “not as complete as it’s going to be” by the end of Friday or Saturday.

The committee considering whether to move the team or not is still considering issues with both offers. Stern said there are some structural issues, but he said the path to a new arena is what they are most concerned about.

There is now a timeline that would mean a decision would not come until the first week of May.