Power lines and people don’t mix, particularly when those people are jumping from an airplane.
The FAA is investigating an incident at Parachute Center Sunday afternoon – where just that happened.
An experienced, 62-year-old parachutist landed on power lines and is now at the UC Davis Medical Center with severe burns and electric shock.
The FAA is looking at three things in particular with Sunday’s incident:
First, whether or not the parachute had been packed within the last 180 days by a certified parachute rigger.
Second, whether the same is true of the reserve chute.
Third, the FAA wants to know if the chute was made of mold, mildew and fungus resistant material – and problems that could significantly weaken the chute and line strength.
There have been close calls at Parachute Center, like the grandma who nearly fell out of her harness and the man who got tangled in his lines and nearly impaled on a grape stake.