Metro Fire crews were able to douse a house fire just in time to save five cats and stop flames before the home went up in smoke early Wednesday afternoon.
A mail carrier on his route near Kifisia Way just after noon saw a lot of smoke coming from the chimney of a home, according to a release from Sacramento Metro Fire.
The carrier called 911, suspecting that something was wrong as it was a sunny summer day.
Metro Fire crews showed up and found that no one was home, except for some cats that lived inside. Crews then attacked the inferno to stop the fire before it could engulf the home and kill the cats.
About $300,000 in property was saved, along with the five cats that lived inside.
Apparently, the fire started due to unattended cooking.