Police: Frat House Flooded with Gas in Apparent Arson Attempt
Davis authorities are investigating an arson attempt at a frat house.
Early Sunday afternoon, police say, officers showed up at the Kappa Sigma Fraternity off of Adams Street. The residents reported to police that someone tried to light the place on fire overnight.
Police found out that, around 1 a.m., someone inside the home smelled natural gas. The residents soon found an apparently deliberate gas leak inside the home. Most concerning, police note, is that someone looks to have tried to light a fire inside the home – trying to ignite the gas.
It is unclear why the incident wasn’t reported to police until Sunday afternoon.
Investigators are still trying to find a motive behind the near-arson. Police are warning all student groups to be extra vigilant about suspicious activity in the wake of the incident.
Extra officers will be on patrol Sunday night, police note.
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Davis Police at (530) 747-5400.