Dozens Of Tenants Without Power On Christmas Day

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SACRAMENTO-

Residents in two dozen units at the Garden Way Apartments were still waiting for their power to be restored after a fire destroyed a maintenance room and an upstairs unit on Christmas Eve.

Most stayed in a motel with two-day vouchers provided by the Red Cross, but some decided to stay, like Leah Lawson.  She has one-and -four-year-old boys.  She also is afraid to leave because she doesn’t believe repairs will be finished by Thursday as promised by the manager.

“I don’t want to take the chance of losing what I got, so I stayed here,” said Lawson.

She is using a long extension cord to get electricity from a unit in the adjacent building.  Some who did move to the motel came back to get belongings on Christmas Day and to empty their refrigerators of spoiled food.

“There is a lot food.  A lot of us just went shopping (just before the fire) and then everything’s gone,” said tenant Jane Xiong.

Xiong also does not  trust management to make repairs because she and other tenants say  maintenance was a problem even before the fire.

Xiong said it is a tough Christmas, especially for the people who had their apartments completely destroyed by the fire.

The apartment manager, through a crack in her door, told FOX40 that insurance will cover the repairs and that power is expected to be restored by Thursday.

Michael Threatt was removing some of his things to his motel room.  He said he wouldn’t want to wish the situation on anyone, but he also wants to look on the brighter side, especially on Christmas.

“It could have been worse.  Somebody could have got hurt, somebody could have gotten killed. Praise God nothing like that happened.” said Threatt.

He felt in a good enough mood to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • tenabt

    Everyone here including the fire department knows the fire started in the maintenance room between 2-3am. What the hell was he doing in there at the time???now we all lost our food and in a horrible situation. These managers aren’t going to fix anything. We are still out of hot water n electricity???????where is the power..These people are not trying hard enough….we need new management!! Not one who smokes dope in the storage room.