About 130 residents of an apartment complex are frustrated that they have to stay away from their homes after an explosion rocked the complex Wednesday night.
Arson investigators suspect that someone was using butane gas in a drug lab mishap that took place in the back bathroom of a corner unit. Two men were burned in the incident are being treated at a local hospital.
A day after the Wednesday afternoon blast, residents returned to their units to gather clothing and belongings because they didn’t know how long they would be kept away by city code enforcement officers. There was no gas or electricity to the units.
Some feared that refrigerated food would spoil. There are dozens of children in the complex and the city sent personnel to nearby schools to make sure their needs were cared for. An emergency shelter was also set up by Rancho Cordova Community Services and the Red Cross for those who had no place to go.
By Thursday evening, electricity had been partially restored and city officials were working hard to restore natural gas. Dozens of families remained in the courtyard of the 56 unit complex hoping that they would not have to stay away another night.
Four units were damaged and uninhabitable. Managers of the apartment complex had contractors working on repairs. A woman who lives in the apartment where the explosion happened took clothing and other items from her unit. She told FOX40 News that other tenants had threatened her, apparently angry that the explosion put them out of their homes and put their children in jeopardy.