VOTE NOW! PAPA MURPHY’S FINAL QUARTER FRIDAY NIGHT FAN FAVORITE

Man Pulled Unresponsive from American River

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SACRAMENTO-

The Sacramento Fire Department says a man in his twenties was sent to the hospital unconscious and  unresponsive, after attempting to swim across Discovery Park.

“Eight minutes after the boat arrived they did find the person on the bottom of the river, they pulled him into the boat, brought him to the shore,” said Jonathan Williams with the Sacramento Fire Department.

Williams said rescue crews were on the water already Friday evening, performing practice exercising. Their location allowed them to get to the drowning victim within 4 minutes..

The man is not the only one to make the same swim today. Multiple people told FOX40 they swam across the river today, to get to a rope swing.

“Yeah, we wanted to get to the other side. It’s risky but, we took the risk,” said some witnesses.

Earlier this month, 38-year-old Pedro Mendoza died after his boat capsized in almost exactly the same spot, under the Jibboom Bridge at Discovery Park.

Williams said he was not certain if the man in Friday’s incident survived. Family identified the man as Ernest Surita, a father of three, who reportedly did not survive.

“He was unresponsive, unconscious,” said Williams.

Surita’s family has set up a Go Fund Me page for funeral expenses.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s