NFL PA: Ray Rice Wins Suspension Appeal
“The suspension has been vacated,” George Atallah, the assistant executive director of external affairs for the players’ union, said.
Former U.S. District Judge Barbara Jones, a neutral arbitrator, presided over Rice’s appeal hearing in New York earlier this month.
Her decision means Rice is immediately able to play.
“If a team wanted to sign him and put him on the field that could happen but we’re not expecting that to occur any time soon,” CNN’s Rachel Nichols said. “If you’re a team that needs a running back, are you going to sign Ray Rice knowing the backlash against him, knowing how people in the public feel about it?”
Rice, 27, was cut by the Ravens in September, so he is currently a free agent.
The former Ravens star had his contract terminated by the team in the wake of the disturbing video that shows him knocking out his now-wife, Janay Rice, on an elevator in a casino in Atlantic City on February 15.
In September, hours after the Ravens cut Rice, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell lengthened Rice’s suspension from two games to an indefinite period.
CNN left messages for Jones, the NFL and Rice’s agent, but didn’t immediately hear back.
By Jill Martin and Steve Almasy