LOS ANGELES (LA Times)-
Over 100 patients at UCLA’s Ronald Reagan Medical Center were possibly exposed to a potentially deadly bacteria from contaminated medical scopes after similar outbreaks at other hospitals across the country.
The Los Angeles Times has learned that seven UCLA patients were infected by the drug-resistant superbug known as CRE.
The bacteria possibly contributed to two of those patients’ deaths. The death toll may grow as more patients get tested.
In response to questions from The Times, UCLA said it became aware of the outbreak late last month. They have begun notifying patients and offer them medical tests. By some estimates, if the infection spreads to a person’s bloodstream, CRE can kill 40% to 50% of its patients.
The problems and concerns stem from a specialized endoscope inserted down the throats of about 500,000 patients annually to treat cancers, gallstones and other ailments of the digestive system.
Click here to read the full story at LATimes.com.