Dog Dies from Being Stung by Owners Illegally Kept Bees

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LOMA LINDA, Calif. (AP) — A dog whose Southern California owner illegally kept bees has died after being stung more than 100 times.

The Redlands Daily Facts (http://bit.ly/1JQFacC ) say Daisy, a 12-year-old Golden Retriever, died Monday afternoon at an animal hospital in Loma Linda.

Fire Capt. Tom DeBellis says Daisy had been sprayed by a skunk and was being washed in the driveway when the bees swarmed Sunday morning.

DeBellis says firefighters gave Daisy antihistamines and oxygen and washed her with foam before taking her to the hospital.

The owner was treated for stings at a hospital. DeBellis says several firefighters also were stung.

Assistant City Manager Konrad Bolowich says the hives — which are illegal in the residential area — have been removed.