Vote Now! Papa Murphy’s Final Quarter Friday Night Favorite
CLICK HERE TO HELP THE FRONT STREET ANIMAL SHELTER FOR CHROMA KITTY’S BIRTHDAY

Firefighter Died of Carbon Monoxide, Smoke Inhalation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ALTURAS (AP) —

The U.S. Forest Service says a firefighter whose body was found Friday in the Modoc National Forest died of carbon monoxide poisoning and smoke inhalation.

The service announced the cause of death of Engine Captain David Ruhl on Tuesday.

Ruhl, of Rapid City, South Dakota, had been on temporary assignment since June in California, where he was an assistant fire management officer for the Big Valley Ranger District of the Modoc National Forest.

In South Dakota, he was the engine captain on the Mystic Ranger District of the Black Hills National Forest.

Ruhl was reported missing Thursday and an initial search had to be halted because of hazardous fire conditions. Efforts resumed Friday, when his body was found.