Fire Investigated at Turlock Church

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TURLOCK --

A fire broke out at the EQUIP Church in Turlock early Friday morning.

No one was reported injured and no other buildings were damaged, according to the Turlock Fire Department.

Turlock Fire worked with seven other agencies to extinguish the blaze.

The cause of the fire, believed to have started in the basement, was not immediately clear. The building smoldered through most of the day.

“Still in through the walls, subfloor and that’s why we’re having a hard time getting all the hotspots, putting it out,” Turlock Fire Chief Gary Carlson said.

According to its website, EQUIP is an "independent, inter-denominational" place or worship along Columbia Street.

Now, EQUIP leaders are looking for a new building. Not only had their home for the last six years burned down, but the building's owner apparently allowed its insurance policy to lapse.