After Alleged School Shooting Plot Foiled, Parents Say They Were Kept in the Dark

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TUOLUMNE--

After four Summerville High School students' plot to stage a mass shooting and kill fellow students and teachers was foiled, school officials sent an alert to parents which many thought kept them largely in the dark about what had almost occurred.

Most parents received an automated message from Summerville Union High Superintendent Robert Griffith Thursday, one day after the students' plot was uncovered.

"It was reported that two students were discussing doing harm to other students or staff," the message said "It was determined that there was no immediate threat."

Griffith says police were in the midst of their investigation, and couldn't release more detailed information to parents.

"I got a text from my son who lives in Washington asking me what's going on about this shooting plot. What shooting plot?" Shannon Duckworth, who has two students at Summerville High School, told FOX40

Duckworth says she's O.K. with how school officials handled the would-be mass shooting, but like other parents, wishes the school had been more transparent.

"We should've had full disclosure," said Duckworth.

The message delivered to parents failed to mention students intended to shoot and kill other students and faculty.

That's not a minor detail, according to Duckworth. She's not the only one who felt left in the dark.

"I've heard a lot of this from other people telling me, but who knows what's true," said Sally Frankenstein.

A number of parents voiced similar complaints on social media, saying they didn't get enough information. Others said they never received a message whatsoever.

"If we can find some way to notify parents, not to scare us, just to let us know exactly what's going on," said Duckworth.