Another Possible Case Of A Dog Poisoned By Antifreeze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ANTELOPE --

FOX40 found another possible case of a dog being poisoned by antifreeze in one week.

"She's getting better, but Abby was lethargic, shaking, vomiting, not eating,” Rene Bean said.

Rene Bean of Antelope immediately took her 12-year-old beagle, Abby, to the vet Jan. 20, and to her surprise, the first thing the Dr. asked was, “Has she been exposed to antifreeze?"

According to the Doctor, Abby's Blood Urea Nitrogen levels (BUN) were more than 10 times what they should be, and her kidneys had failed.

"California's antifreeze has a bittering agent added to it. It's one of the states that requires that  I think to protect animals. So it would have to be purposeful, I would think." Dr. Jenni Byerly of Marqueen Pet Emergency Specialty said.

Bean had no idea what caused Abby to have these symptoms. Then she watched FOX40's story from last week and started to connect the dots.

Ten-year-old Scrappy was a neighbor dog who lived just on the other side of Tetotum Park in Antelope. Scrappy also suffered from antifreeze overdose. She died last week.

"A lot of the things were the same, so we’re assuming this is what happened to Abby," Bean said.

They both live in the same neighborhood, in corner houses, with rod iron fences -- easy access for anyone possibly pulling a terrible prank. Two days of hospitalization, IV fluids and almost $1,000 later, Abby miraculously survived.

However, now she has an uncontrollable shake and must eat special kidney food for life.

"She is not out of the woods yet," bean said.

Veterinarians suggest owners to pay close attention to their pets, and be vigilant of the signs.

"If they see any signs that seem like their dog is drunk or acting weird, vomiting, drinking more water, they should take it to the vet right away," Dr. Byerly said.

If you wait, the dog may show signs of recovery. After 24 hours however, the toxins may spread to the rest of the body, and may lead to death.

If you believe your animal may be a victim of antifreeze poisoning, or have information that may lead to an arrest, call your local Animal Control.