Each year, thousands of homeless and at-risk children in our local communities return to school without the basic supplies they need.
Operation Backpack helps provide thousands of backpacks, grade-specific school supplies, and a variety of support services to homeless, at-risk and foster children from pre-school to high school levels throughout the Bay Area, Greater Sacramento Area, and Reno regions.
Together, communities working with Operation Backpack are helping children learn and thrive in school, stay in school, and build a bright future. As a result of homeless children facing these challenges, less than 25% graduate High School.
The backpacks and school supplies are provided directly to families and children in the program, as well as partner agencies.
Participate in Volunteers of America's Operation Backpack and help children in need be prepared and excited for their first day of school:
- Donate (and find all other related information) online here: //www.voa-ncnn.org/operation-backpack#sthash.Dqksz7ae.dpuf
- Start shopping and fill a backpack with school supplies then drop it off a location near you (see the website).
- Organize your own collection drive at school, work, church or a club.
- Volunteer to help with marketing, database tasks, sorting, item pick-ups, calls, etc... just call (916) 265-3966.
- Engage your company or vendors to sponsor the campaign and provide items such as t-shirts or poster for advertising space.