Where to Watch FOX40 News During the World Cup

Suspect’s Girlfriend Speaks Out After Stockton Officer-Involved Shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STOCKTON -- Buttons, pins and candles mark the spot where Colby Friday was shot by a Stockton police officer.

His girlfriend Salena Brown opened up to FOX40 about his death.

"He was everything to a person that loved him that you can be to a person,” Brown said.

Brown, who was not at the scene, said Friday was on his way to get a money order on Jamestown Street on Tuesday afternoon. She admitted he carried a gun because he was trying to protect himself.

At the same time, the Stockton Police Department said their officers were investigating a domestic violence dispute in the area. They said the 30-year-old matched the suspect’s description.

When officers approached Friday, they said he ran off. Investigators said Friday dropped a gun, attempted to pick it up and when he was told to let the gun go, Friday refused, and then the officer fired.

"I didn’t hear the officer say 'freeze,' I didn't hear him say nothing, all I heard was gunshots. That was it,” witness Jerry Garcia said.

Some of the officer’s bullets struck the apartment complex across the street. The police department said the officer involved is David Wells. He joined the force in 2003 and was assigned to the K9 unit.

"It’s a tragedy for everyone around here. Especially the family that were out here last night, you know, so, I just feel bad for them,” Garcia explained.

Brown doesn’t believe her boyfriend meant to hurt anyone. She believes that it wasn’t his gun he was trying to pick up, she said it was his cell phone.

"He dropped his cell phone, tried to hop back over the fence to get his cell phone and they shot him in his back and in his head,” Brown told FOX40.

Officer Wells has been placed on paid administrative leave for three days, which is routine protocol. The shooting has also upset community members who are now calling for a federal investigation.