Paul is in the studio with Dr. Hillary Van Horn-Gatlin to talk about students and school. Back to school concerns are common in both children and their parents. Children of all ages, particularly those transitioning to new schools or grades in which there are increased academic demands. She has some tips for parents that are worried about their kids transitioning.
- Talk to your child about his or her fears
- Develop a plan for balance
- Avoid giving reassurance...instead, problem-solve and plan
- Watch for physical symptoms that can be brought on by stress
- Praise and reward your child for their hard work
- Talk about social media use
- Parents: Calm your own worries and fears