NEW YORK — President-elect Donald Trump has decided to postpone until January a press conference this week to announce his plan for dealing with potential conflicts stemming from his businesses, two transition sources confirm to CNN.
The press conference, previously scheduled for Thursday, was to be his first press conference since being elected president. His last news conference was in July.
“The announcement has been rescheduled for next month,” said Trump spokesperson Hope Hicks.
The postponement is largely because of the transition’s focus on personnel, but also underscores the complexities facing Trump lawyers as they try and figure this whole thing out, one transition official said. “This isn’t exactly easy stuff,” the official said of the process.
News of the postponement was first reported by Bloomberg News.
The sources said Trump decided to postpone the announcement because he was busy deciding on appointees to his cabinet. Trump has named several top officials in recent weeks and is expected to announce his secretary of state soon.
The president-elect tweeted on November 30th that he would hold a “major news conference” with his children on New York City on this coming Thursday.
In subsequent tweets, Trump said he would use the time to discuss “the fact that I will be leaving my … great business in total order” to focus on the presidency, which he called “a far more important task.”