Vote Now! Papa Murphy’s Final Quarter Friday Night Favorite
How to donate to Salvation Army Hurricane Harvey relief
How to donate to Red Cross Hurricane Harvey relief

Man Stops Breathing, Others Get Sick After Eating Co-Worker’s Food

SAN DIEGO – A handful of people became sick Tuesday at a pharmaceutical company in Southern California's Sorrento Valley, including a man who reportedly stopped breathing, a San Diego fire official told KSWB.

The people fell ill after eating food that a co-worker brought to the office at Inovio Pharmaceuticals, according to a San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokeswoman.

A 60-year-old man collapsed outside the business, she said. Medics took him to a trauma center. His condition unknown, the fire official said.

Another person was taken to a hospital and two others also sought medical treatment.

The dodgy dish in question was a shrimp casserole, according to the San Diego Union Tribune, but it's unclear if the shellfish or something else caused the illnesses.