Story Summary

Man Wielding Shotgun Shoots at Police, Shot by Officer

Police say they had to shoot a man who shot at them after officers responded to a disturbance call.

Story Timeline
Previous Next
This story has 2 updates


It started as a fight amongst family members on the 600 block of Cimarron Avenue.

“I heard people yelling down there, “’Why are you doing this to your son?’” neighbor Jim Stovall told FOX40. But then, Stovall says it escalated quickly, so he called 9-1-1.

“I said look you need to get out here,” he told police.

From his front lawn, he says a man — who police say is 20-year-old Jeremy Fleming — left the fight and walked down the street with a shot gun in hand.

Neighbors say Fleming ran into a home and hid behind a car in a garage. When police arrived, witnesses tell us shots were fired.

“My son didn’t shoot anyone, the police shot him,” says Flemings mom, Regina Martinez.

Law enforcement is trained to shoot first and stop an armed threat before they shoot. In a statement, the department told FOX40, “The information we’ve received is that officers entered the garage, the suspect fired his shotgun, and officers returned fire.”

The two police officers involved are not injured. Fleming is in stable condition and was taken to Stanford Hospital where police reports indicate that doctors found traces of PCP and alcohol in his system.


Scene of the shooting Saturday late night.


Police say they had to shoot a man who shot at them after officers responded to a disturbance call Saturday night.

Officers were called to a home along Cimarron Avenue, where they found a man standing in the front yard with a shotgun.

As officers approached, the man stepped into his garage and started shooting at the officers.

One officer fired back in hit the man. The man was then taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The officers weren’t hurt.

At the hospital, it was found that the man was under the influence of PCP and alcohol. He was transferred to Stanford Hospital and is in police custody. He has been identified as 20-year-old Stockton resident Jeremy Fleming.