Minimizing Winter Fire Danger

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


“As it gets colder, people start using things that increase the likelihood of getting a fire started,” said Michelle Eidam, of Sacramento Metro Fire.

Things like space heaters, overused power chords, and Christmas lights are prone to causing fires. Within the past month, the department has responded to three fires, believed to be electrically started.

“Sometimes you put extension chord in to extension chord, they’re not designed to be able to withstand that type of electrical current going through them,” Eidam said.

Sac Metro Fire is advising people to make sure space heaters are not left within three feet of anything. Finally, the department urges you to make sure your smoke detectors are checked and ready to alert you, if need be.

For more information on how to hang Christmas lights safely, click here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.