Rather than cooking a large Thanksgiving meal, the Bradley’s will spend the next few days looking for a new home after they lost everything in an early morning fire.
“It’s material things. I’m just thankful we got out alive,” said Samuel Bradley. “Nothing was able to be saved. We lost everything except what I have on.”
The Red Cross stepped in, giving the Bradley’s three days stay in a nearby hotel and more than $500 for clothes.
“But we are going to have to get us a new place that is what I’m worried about,” said Bradley.
It all started when his 10-year-old granddaughter lit a candle and left the matches near some paper.
“She did not want to come out and say anything. Good thing she did come out of there. She told her mother the house is on fire, fire!”
By the time he noticed the fire Bradley ran to get some water, but by then it was too late.
“It went through the carpet,” he said.
With no family nearby and nothing left but the clothes on their backs, the Bradley’s are thankful for support from friends and neighbors.
Some neighbors collected donations. Another neighbor offered to let the Bradley’s spend Thanksgiving dinner at their home.