(CNN) — The suspected gunman in Friday’s shooting at a Connecticut elementary school is dead on the scene, a source with knowledge of the investigation told CNN’s Susan Candiotti.
The source also said police have recovered two weapons from the suspect. It’s unclear if police killed him or if he took his own life.
The Hartford Courant, citing police, said an unspecified number of people had been shot at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown.
The nature of their injuries was unclear, the newspaper said. But it cited police as saying one person had “numerous gunshot wounds.”
The Newtown Bee newspaper said one child had been carried out by a police officer and emergency crews had set up triage facilities, expecting additional patients.
All schools in the city were on lockdown Friday as police assessed the situation, state police spokesman Lt. Paul Vance said.
Students were evacuated to a nearby firehouse, the Danbury News-Times newspaper reported.
Images from CNN affiliate News 12 New Jersey showed police officers armed with rifles following a dog into woods near the school.
Other officers, some in tactical gear, stood around the school with guns drawn, CNN affiliate WFSB reported.
A photograph published by the Newtown Bee showed teachers and police leading students out of the building across a parking lot.
The first calls came into police around 9:40 a.m., according to media accounts.
Police scheduled a news conference for 1 p.m. ET.
Newtown is about 60 miles north of New York.
By CNN Staff
™ & © 2012 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved