Commander Andrew Smith with the Los Angeles Police Department clarified some details Tuesday night about the manhunt for fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner.
Smith says that as of 8 p.m., no body had been recovered from the burned cabin in the San Bernardino National Forrest. He added that media reports to the contrary are not accurate.
Smith clarified this after FOX40 sister station KTLA reported that an LAPD source said Dorner’s body was recovered, as well as the Riverside Press-Enterprise newspaper quoted Riverside Police Chief Sergio Diaz as saying that Dorner was indeed in the cabin.
The investigation has been handed over to the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department, Smith said.
If a body was found inside the burned cabin, it would take some time to positively identify the body.