Christmas Toy Sparks, Catches Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


They are not the Griswold’s, but the Thompson’s family Christmas started with an unwanted bang.

It started when 10-year-old Joey Thompson plugged in a remote control helicopter he got for Christmas.

He was supposed to let it charge for two hours, but 30 minutes later he heard something.

“When I was over here playing I heard a popping sound like a fuse,” said Joey. “I was freaked out. It scared me because I was not expecting that.”

The boy quickly took the toy chopper to his dad.

“As I was heading out of the kitchen, the thing exploded. It just went into flames,” said Phillip Thompson.

Thankfully, Thompson was holding the helicopter by its propeller when it exploded, which kept him from getting injured.

As the family contacted about the malfunction they noticed something else was wrong.

“This is not what we ordered. This is an imitation model,” said Thompson

The order went through a third party vendor.

The vendor had actually covered the box’s bar code with a bar code from a different brand; the brand the Thompson’s thought they were getting.

“I am just glad that everyone is okay and the house is still standing,” said Joey. worked with the family and gave them a full refund.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.