A woman and her young children watched their mobile home burn to the ground Thursday in Newcastle.
“We were setting up the new heater I bought in the back room,” Ashley Wilson said.
Wilson, 19, said the mobile home’s propane heater wasn’t working, so she bought a space heater.
Wilson’s best friend, Brittany Fridlander, says the mobile home was like her second home. She says the fire sparked in a different part of the home.
“The kitchen and deck were engulfed in flames, so I took the kids and ran as fast as I could to the neighbors,” Fridlander said.
“I tried to run back in for stuff and I couldn’t,” Wilson said.
She wanted to grab mementos of her mother and father, both deceased.
This fire is just another recent tragedy for Wilson. Her mother passed away just months ago.
“If I could go back, I’d grab one thing from each of my parents. Because I don’t have them anymore,” Wilson said.
Cal Fire Spokesperson Lynne Tolnachoff says high winds, an older mobile home and a location tucked away in a remote, wooded area, all made firefighting efforts more difficult.
“It’s an older mobile home and unfortunately when those catch fire they tend to burn very quickly. Also the access. They’re not very close to a fire station. It took us a few minutes to get here,” Tolnachoff said.
The Red Cross is assisting Ashley her kids, and several other people who were staying in the home.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Nicole Comstock filed this report.