“Nothing Left But the Chimney”: Applegate Fire Destroys Couple’s Home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


The Applegate Fire had only just sprung up Wednesday when it destroyed the home of Deirdre and James Sample.

The Samples lived there for years.

"I figured it was not good because it was black, yucky smoke," Deirdre Sample said.

All the Samples were able to save were a few articles of clothing.

"Nothing left but the chimney," Sample said.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

"It's just sort of overwhelming," Sample told FOX40. "I'm too old for this."