Sacramento’s Santa Parade Could be Canceled, Starts Fundraising Campaign

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SACRAMENTO-

Sacramento’s Santa Parade is having money trouble, and could be cancelled this year.

The annual event in downtown Sacramento has been a Capital City tradition since 1983. Fans of this year’s parade saw a message earlier this month alerting them about a possible funding shortage.

Parade organizers say they have traditionally been funded by local businesses, and a lot of support had come from the Downtown Plaza. With the former plaza space under construction, parade organizers say they need support from somewhere else.

The Santa Parade gets some financial help from the city, but there are several other costs, like security, insurance and clean-up, that need to be covered.

Sacramento’s Santa Parade says they are on the “brink of cancellation” and have started a kickstarter campaign to raise $14,000 in order to hold the event on December 13.

The kickstarter campaign says the group is trying to raise the money by November 26 so they can hold the parade.