19-Year Sheriff’s Deputy on Administrative Leave After Shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Parts of a normally busy shopping center were shut down for five hours in North Highlands Friday, as deputies shot a man running with a gun who was firing at the good Samaritans who tried to stop him.

"You heard something before you saw something. Sirens were everywhere," said Vincent Savedra from behind the counter at Smoke City.

"I didn't know they were here in the parking lot. All I heard was a lot of sirens," said Kevin LeClair at Jackson Hewitt Tax Service.

Across the parking lot at the Fineline Tattoo Parlor, four patrons were on the table.

"The girls were yelling. They were scared," said one of the artists named Rudy.

The flashing lights and zooming cruisers, all a scary sight for those who went from trying to serve customers to trying to protect them from the chaos.

"Lots of people were asking questions, because everything was, like I said, so unclear in the beginning," said Savedra.

According to the Sacramento County Sheriff's department, what ended with a deputy shooting the gun-wielding arm of a fleeing suspect, actually started diagonally across the intersection of Watt Avenue and Elkhorn boulevard.

A woman in front of a 7-11 store called 9-1-1 after being harassed by an Hispanic man she didn't know.

"Yelling at her, cursing at her, calling her names. He actually said 'I have something for you' and reached into his backpack," said Sgt. Lisa Bowman.

When deputies arrived, they say that man took off running, dropping that backpack--one with a crack pipe inside--along the way.

Witnesses say they saw something else strange when the suspect neared a Rite Aid in the shopping center.

"A red truck stopped. The guy got out with a baseball bat and went after him," said Bonnie Ray.

The suspect reportedly fired at that good Samaritan, but missed.

Hours later, Daniel Lebic finally got to reopen the Popeye's he manages.

He's disturbed, but not surprised by seeing more violence in the area.

"That window was shot at two nights ago," said Lebic, pointing up.

"We replaced, but you can still see the shatter on the one that didn't break all the way."

Others doing business at the scene of North Highlands latest crime are also concerned about what they see happening around where they work.

"It's discouraging, but we try to avoid the negative and continue with the positive," said Rudy at Fineline Tattoo.

"At the end of the day, you can just be thankful that you're safe. Anything can happen when you walk out your front door," said Savedra.

The suspect in this case had not yet been identified as of late Friday night.

Investigators say he will be booked into jail after being medically cleared for the gunshot wound to his arm.

Folks in North Highlands say he's known to frequent the shopping center where he was shot, stealing from the businesses there.

The officer who fired at him is a 19-year veteran of the force who has now been placed on administrative leave as the incident is investigated.

With the suspect in custody, deputies are now looking for the good Samaritan who took fire and left the scene in a red truck.

If you recognize the truck or were the driver, you're asked to please call investigators at 916-874-5155.