California Woman Dies From Brain-Eating Bacteria

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RENO, Nevada–

According to health officials, a California woman has died after being exposed to a rare brain-eating infection called Naegleria fowleri.

The woman apparently was infected when water entered her nose while she was swimming in fresh water in Central California. Health officials say the woman was infected on private property and there’s no general risk of exposure to the public.

The 21-year-old woke up from a nap on June 16 with symptoms including a headache, nausea, and vomiting. She died 4 days later on June 20 at a Reno hospital. Her name has not yet been released.