More than a week after a 9-year-old boy was mauled to death by three pit bulls, lawsuits are being filed against the foster system he was in. Attorneys representing the father of Tyler Huston announced Monday they'll be filing a case against Sacramento County's Child Protective Services.
Tyler Trammell-Huston was killed by his half sister's three pit bulls last week. The boy's father, John Huston, has come out to put part of the blame on CPS, and plans to hold a news conference with his attorneys Tuesday morning to detail their claims.
Meanwhile, others with children in the county's foster system agree things need to change. Ella McWilliams' granddaughter, Princess Miller, lives with the same foster family as Tyler did. She said the two kids had become close.
"She's a little sad now, you know, boys and girls they feud and argue, but now she misses him," McWilliams told FOX40.
McWilliam and her daughter, Nakisha Miller, Princess' aunt, said they don't have issue with the foster family, but instead with the county's social workers.
"Each time I've asked them, 'Can you help me fill the papers out because I don't understand what they're asking?' (The social workers tell me) no we don't do that," said Nakisha Miller.
Both Miller and McWilliams fear what happened to Tyler and his family could happen to theirs.
"Just the thought of them allowing this child to live in that trailer is just ludicrous," McWilliams said.
But not everyone is blaming the county. Tyler's half sister, Alexandria Griffin-Heady was working close with CPS to adopt the boy herself. Her attorney, Roberto Marquez, told FOX40 CPS went above and beyond to ensure Tyler was safe.
"According to my client, they did an evaluation initially just to allow visitation. They did an evaluation of the home. And at least once a surprise visit to make sure everything is good," Marquez said.
Marquez said he felt this tragedy was something no one could have expected.
Although Tyler was staying inside Griffin-Heady's trailer when he was attacked, Marquez said that was not meant to be a permanent home for the boy.
"It was never meant to be a home, it was meant to be a bedroom only," Marquez said, adding his client had just signed papers to get a house for the two to live in the weekend the attack happened. "The house was being renovated, she was supposed to be in that home in late December. But it got delayed because of repairs."
Sacramento County's Department of Health and Human Services said it could not comment on Huston's lawsuit because it has yet to see the legal complaint.