Manteca Students Hospitalized After Maintenance Work Goes Wrong

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MANTECA —

Eleven students and one adult complained of difficulty breathing Wednesday after maintenance work on the heating and air conditioning system at Joshua Cowell Elementary School went wrong.

The Manteca Fire Department reported to the school where 11 students and one adult were having trouble breathing.

Five of the students were transported by ambulance to Doctors Hospital and Kaiser Manteca, the remaining students were released to their parents. Everyone was told to seek medical attention if their symptoms persisted.

The cause of the incident was maintenance staff working on the heating and air conditioning ducts. Crews had sprayed an adhesive product on the ducting, and when the heater came on, it spread fumes into one classroom.

The Manteca Unified School District issued the following statement:

“Student safety is always our number one priority. A smell was reported in a classroom. The school responded by moving students to another room. Emergency services were called to investigate and five students were removed for further observation.”

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.