Neighbors Describe Violent Stockton Home Break-In That Left Suspect Dead

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Neighbors described Tuesday night's violent home break-in that left the 26-year-old suspect dead on Nicole Street in Stockton.

"Neighbors said he was jumping from rooftop to rooftop, so when police got here, they didn't know where to go," neighbor Salvador Cardenas said.

Cardenas recorded the chaos across the street, as a mother came out of a home on the 3200 block of Nicole Street and collapsed on the porch, pleading with officers to find her daughter.

"I guess he got what was coming if he was trying to hold a little 10-year-old girl hostage," Cardenas said.

Stockton police said they got multiple calls from residents on Nicole Street just after 6 p.m. Tuesday, reporting a man trying to break into their homes.

They say they found 26-year-old Filberto Valencia inside the bathroom of a care home with his arm around a 10-year-old girl's neck. Police say her face was injured.

People inside the care home told police Valencia assaulted the girl and locked himself in the bathroom with her and three others.

Stockton police say Valencia tried to assault them, and eventually reached for an officer's gun. That's when they say they used a taser and a baton to subdue Valencia, but noticed a short time later he was not breathing. Valencia died inside the home.

"We were really scared," Alondra Mendoza said.

Mendoza could have been that 10-year-old. She and her cousin, Christian Luna, told FOX40 how Valencia first tried to get into their home through their windows and sliding door.

"He hit the window here, and then ran back there and hit the window so hard. Then he came back, tried to open here again," Luna said.

The cousins say Valencia was clutching a rosary around his neck and begging Mendoza's mom to let him inside because someone was trying to kill him. They say he eventually used their slide to hop the fence and enter the care home.

"Everybody was saying he was jumping from houses to houses, so when police showed up, they didn't know from which house to run to," Cardenas said.

Valencia's family spoke to FOX40 Wednesday morning. They said they called Stockton police earlier Tuesday evening to say Valencia was having a schizophrenic episode. They claim that when they told police he was unarmed, they said they were tied up and could not respond.

"If they responded earlier, he would still be alive," the Valencia family said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.