SAN DIEGO – After completing several searches Naval investigators have no evidence to substantiate a report of a shooting at Naval Medical Center San Diego Tuesday morning, Navy officials said.
After several clearing sweeps of Building 26, they found absolutely nothing to indict that there was a shooting, said Commander of Naval Base San Diego Curt Jones.
Around 8 a.m., a witness reported hearing three shots come from the basement of building 26, which houses a gym and barracks, according to Navy Region Southwest.
Military police and working dogs conducted an initial search, then turned to a more thorough floor-by-floor sweep, according to Navy officials. SWAT teams were also clearing buildings, according to reports from the scene.
Navy spokesman Jon Nylander no evidence of a shooting had been found as of about 10:10 a.m., no casualties had been reported and no one was believed to have been taken into custody.
Officials at the medical center, commonly known as Balboa Hospital, initially urged those already at the facility to “run, hide or fight,” as law enforcement officers swarmed the compound. Others, including non-emergency response personnel, were asked to stay away.