Horse and Dog Die After Eating Poisoned Cookies

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Authorities say a horse and a dog were killed, and another horse was sickened, after the animals ate poisoned cookies that apparently were deliberately left for them to eat.

Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Sgt. Cecile Focha said Tuesday deputies recently identified a person of interest in the poisoning case, but authorities would not give any details.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports the animals became ill on Feb. 12 after someone planted the homemade cookies on the woman’s property in an unincorporated area of Sebastopol.

Necropsies on the horse and dog that died revealed they had ingested oleander, a plant that is poisonous to horses, dogs, cats, cows and birds.

Deputies said the case appears to be an isolated incident, and authorities have warned neighbors near where the poisoning occurred.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.