(CNN) — A car bomb explosion ripped through a busy square in the Turkish capital Sunday evening, killing at least 34 people and wounding 125 others, officials said.
The death toll could include one or two attackers, Health Minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu said.
“We condemn this terror attack and we say again, people who carried out this attack will never succeed,” Interior Minister Efkan Ala said.
Scores of police cars, firefighters and medical personnel rushed to the scene. Security forces evacuated the area, the official Turkish news agency Anadolu reported.
Authorities haven’t released details about who was behind the blast.
“It’s too early to talk about who carried out this attack. The investigation is ongoing,” a senior Turkish official said. “Our priority right now is the wounded.”
The explosion apparently targeted a transportation hub where bus stops and a metro station are located in the Kizilay neighborhood, Anadolu said.
A bombing that targeted military vehicles in the capital in February killed at least 28 people.
Last week, the U.S. Embassy in Ankara warned of a possible terrorist plot to strike government buildings in the capital’s Bahcelievler neighborhood, which is just a few minute’s drive from the square where Sunday’s explosion occurred.