Acquitted Barbershop Murder Suspect Back in Court

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Wednesday in Department 63 of Sacramento County Superior Court, Judge Jaime Roman wasted no time detailing how often Larry Jones Jr. has had to appear in court for being in trouble with the law.

"One hundred and twelve times since 2011. Trial has been set on this matter ... originally from January 28 for April 15, 2015 ... July 28 for September 8, 2015," Roman read from old court papers.

It was a stream of trial dates, moved and rescheduled, on the latest gun charges to be heard for the 34-year-old who was acquitted in one of Sacramento's biggest trials of 2014 -- the barbershop murder of innocent bystander Monique Nelson.

Nelson used her body to shield her then 2-year-old son from gunfire as bullets flew outside of Fly Cuts and Styles in 2010.

It was a retaliatory gun battle between five people over a beating and theft of a gold mouth grill.

In that case, Jones' attorney sold jurors on the idea that his client was trapped in the barbershop with the brothers eventually convicted in Nelson's murder and had called an armed friend to help free him.

In this current case, Mike Wise says his client is also not to blame.

"It's just, uh, a location of some of the pistols inside of a coffee table while they were looking for him in the barbershop ... the case in which he was eventually acquitted,"said Wise.

"The owner of that residence admitted those guns were his. My recollection is the fingerprints came back to the other person and that other person went to prison for it," he said.

Conflicts that attorneys on Jones' current gun case have had with other trials have been the source of most of the delay.

He could finally face trial on this matter by the end of the month.

Nelson's mother says another gun-related case tied to Jones speaks to a series of poor choices.

Unable to stay in Sacramento after the loss of her daughter,  she spoke to FOX40 by phone from her new home in Los Angeles.

"Anything that involves guns or violence is a traumatic conversation for me right now because, as you know, I lost my daughter ... because of a telephone call that he made. But his responsibility in my daughter's death leaves a lot for me to pray on," Nelson's mother said.

Wise says Jones has been doing well since being acquitted.

"He's been out of custody now for a long time. Since he was acquitted, he's laid low and been out of trouble," said Wise.

That's something Deborah Nelson hopes he can maintain for the future.

"It's just about the choices that we make, and I just hope since Mr. Jones got a second wind, a second chance at life ... that he uses it wisely to do something good," she said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.