Vallejo Kidnapping Suspect Killed in Shootout with Deputies, Teen Still Missing

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

VALLEJO -- The suspect in an AMBER Alert issued Thursday out of Solano County got into a shootout with sheriff's deputies in Santa Barbara County, the Solano County Sheriff's Office said Thursday afternoon.

The suspect, identified as 19-year-old Fernando Castro, was killed.

Gone with him, possibly the most direct access to answers about 15-year-old Pearl and why the car he and she were believed to be in was 300 miles away from Vallejo in Solvang, California.

That Saturn was spotted first around 3:30 in the afternoon in Los Alamos headed south.

CHP officers chased Castro along Highway 246 into Solvang, with him headed in the wrong direction at times, evacuations were ordered in the trailer park where the armed 19-year-old holed-up in an attempt to escape.

Castro is suspected of kidnapping 15-year-old Vallejo teen, Pearl Pinson. There was still no sign of Pinson Thursday night.

The Solano County Sheriff's Office said late Thursday night that the suspect vehicle was caught on camera near the San Rafael Bridge in Marin County. The vehicle was captured on cameras that scan license plate numbers. Pinson was not visible in the car when the photos were snapped.

The Solano County Sheriff's Office said the search for Pinson will continue.

Pinson was last seen Wednesday morning in the area of Home Acres and Taylor Avenue on the I-780 pedestrian footbridge in Vallejo.

Castro's car was found in Santa Barbara County earlier in the day.

If you have any information call Solano Dispatch at (707) 421-7090 or 911.

Vallejo Abduction Vehicle

Friends and Family Hold Out Hope 

Friends and family came back to the crime scene to pour all their compassion an hope and sadness into one place and wait together, in tears, for answers they may not be ready to hear.

The last place Pearl was seen alive she was bloodied and screaming for help, being dragged across an overpass in Vallejo. All day long her family and friends have been praying for her safe return.

The Solano County Sheriff's Office announced late Thursday night that after two days of searching for Pearl, they've only found her cell phone and blood. Her whereabouts and medical condition are still a mystery.

The community held a prayer vigil in hopes that the support of the community will give Pearl's family strength to see this uncertainty through.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.