John Hutchinson from Red Rocket Auto Tech is in the studio with Paul to answer a viewer call.
Viewer Question: "How do I know if I am subject to a recall. Who is responsible for fixing the recalled issue? Who pays for it?" - Jane
Distinguish between the two different types of recalls?
o Technical Service Bulletin
- Recall not related to a safety issue
- Voluntary recall due to general defect
- Reimbursable within the warranty provisions
- If vehicle is out of warranty, the consumer pays
o NTHSA Recall (Mandatory)
- Supervised by NHTSA
- A defect directly related to safety
- Paid for by manufacturers
- Even outside of warranty period
You can search for recalls on you vehicle by visiting https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/ or Contact Red Rocket with your VIN info.