11-Year-Old Boy Found Shot in Stockton; Police Investigating

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STOCKTON -- Members of the Owens family are brokenhearted -- desperately worried about two young loved ones after they say 11-year-old Tahj was found shot in his front yard, and his 17-year-old brother Tyreke was questioned by officers -- alone.

"Can I go be with my nephew?" one aunt shouted as she questioned an officer and got a shaking head as her answer.

"He is a minor though. He should not be questioned without an adult. He needs some support. Why won't you guys let somebody come comfort him, why?" she said.

"Nobody, right now we have a crime scene," one officer said.

Monisha Mimmitt -- unable to hold back tears thinking of the sweet cousin she knows who loves comics and karate, now fighting for his life at UC Davis Medical Center.

"He's really, really loving. We just want to make sure he's OK," she said.

"I just want to find out how my nephew is doing right now," said another cousin in the growing family crowd pressed up against the police tape.

Investigators say someone on Tahj's street -- Ledgewood Drive  -- heard gunfire around 5 p.m. and dialed 911 for Stockton police, but they can't confirm if the caller was inside the boy's home.

"When our officers rolled over the boy, that's when they found the gun underneath him," said Stockton Officer Joe Silva.

Then he went on to describe the situation with Tahj's brother.

"He was here in the neighborhood, here near the house at the time officers arrived, and we feel he has some pertinent information to this case," Silva said.

When asked if there was a gun at home that either boy might have been able to get their hands on Mimmitt said, "no no..they're smart kids. They know not to play with guns even if they found one, so there's something going on that we all don't know about."

None of what's happened makes sense to Tahj and Tyreke's family.

For now officers have made an assessment of the scene based on their preliminary case review.

"This possibly may have been an accidental shooting," said Silva.

Silva also said they had to keep relatives out of the crime scene and away from Tyreke to safeguard their investigation, but none of it feels fair to the family.

"Somebody needs to be with him. I mean, my God, his brother just got shot. What the heck," questioned the boys' aunt.

Six hours after the shooting, Tahj was still listed in critical condition, battling life-threatening injuries.

At the same time his brother was still being questioned by officers after having been moved to the department's investigative unit.

Police are still trying to determine who's handgun was found at the scene and who fired.

Stay with FOX40 and FOX40.com for updates on this developing story.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.