Sheriff’s Department: 1 Deputy Killed, 1 Injured in Rancho Cordova

Fireplace Ashes Cause Loomis Garage Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LOOMIS -- Improperly discarded fireplace ashes are being blamed for starting a garage fire in Loomis Monday morning.

Fire crews were alerted just before 6 a.m. Monday to the home off Auburn Folsom Boulevard.

South Placer Fire District, Auburn and Loomis Fire all responded, and were able to contain the fire to the garage, but the room directly above the garage had some damage.

"Please use this as a reminder as to why you store fireplace ashes in a metal container with a lid, these types of fires happen far too often in the colder months," South Placer Fire Assistant Deputy Karl Fowler said.

A small portion of Auburn-Folsom Blvd was closed during the fire fight and mop up, with fire trucks in the street for hydrant usage.

The road was back open again by 9 a.m.