PG&E Worker Injured at Folsom Gas Leak

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOLSOM --  The Folsom Fire Department conducted a dramatic rescue Monday of an injured PG&E worker who lost consciousness while working on an underground gas line.

With the assistance of Sacramento Metro Fire and the Cosumnes Fire Department, firefighters had to first rescue the PG&E employee and then deal with a gas leak on Riley Street, near Folsom Lake High School.

The PG&E worker was rushed to the hospital after losing consciousness while working on a natural gas line in an underground open vault.

"We enacted confined space protocols to safely effect a rescue... We do not know the exact cause of the accident yet," said Division Chief Chad Wilson with the Folsom Fire Department.

The Folsom Fire Department shut down Riley Street durning the rescue and determined there was a gas leak coming from the same line the PG&E crew was working on. Nearby Folsom Lake High School was placed on lockdown.

"We wanted to keep them on lock down as it was being mitigated. We actually did monitoring of gas levels around the school and there was none on the other side of the road. So it was a safer option to keep all the kids in their classrooms with the doors locked until we could shut down the gas," Wilson told FOX40.

Ashok Hhatia was texting with his son Neil, a junior at the school, who was alarmed the school was told to shelter in place.

"They're trapped inside so they can't come outside, and he doesn't know what to do," Bhatia told FOX40. "It's a little bit frustrating because of the, more than anything, the lack of knowledge of what is going on actually. If we know what is going on then we can wait and watch and see and maybe come later and all."

Other parents who showed up to pick up their students were also surprised by the scene.

"There's been road work on the side of the road for about two to three weeks," said Brett Garcia who drives down Riley Street almost daily.

PG&E said the leak happened as a result of the accident, but couldn't give more details.

Wilson said the employee was working with others inside the hole, which was about 6 feet deep. Many on the scene of the accident hope the injured PG&E worker has a quick recovery.

"Anybody that says [PG&E workers] don't deserve the money they make -- they do deserve it," said Terry White.

PG&E said the employee is in stable condition, recovering at a local hospital.