Eric is in the kitchen with Chief Culinary Ninja Nick Massie from Ice Age Meals learning how to make smoked brisket and a healthier BBQ sauce alternative.
Chipotle Pineapple Punch BBQ Sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
½ fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and small diced
1 yellow onion, small diced
3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and chopped
2 cups tomato puree
1 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
½ tsp chipotle powder
Kosher salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1. Place a saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add olive oil and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add onions and a pinch of kosher salt and cook for 60 seconds, stirring constantly.
4. Add pineapple and another pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomato puree and vinegar, stir and bring to a simmer.
6. Add honey and chipotle powder and stir to incorporate.
7. Remove pan from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the sauce. You can also
transfer the sauce into a blender to do this, but an immersion blender is more practical.
8. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.