REDDING, Calif. (KRON) — A group of first responders assigned to the Dixie Fire saved a boy drowning at a Redding hotel on Sunday.
The paramedics were staying at the hotel and heard the mother scream for help.
When they got to the pool, the 10-year-old boy was unresponsive and still partially in the pool.
“He had water in the lungs and wasn’t breathing,” Brian Basso said in a video shared and posted by Cal Fire. “He had no pulse.”
“We know what that means, it’s time to work,” said Jarred Neal, with the Oakland Fire Department. “We jumped the fence. We don’t have time to use key cards.”
The paramedics began CPR and life-saving measures.
When the boy sat up and cried, they said they felt a sigh of relief.
“It’s funny as paramedics, you know, when kids cry that’s good,” said Tom Schwedhelm. “That means they have an airway.”
Even though they saved a life, the firefighters said it was still a very emotional rescue.
“I do have kids, I have four,” Neal said, choking on his words. “It’s hard not to look at a kid and go, hey, you know, it could be my kid.”