Music mogul Sean “Diddy” Combs won’t face felony charges after an alleged assault last month at the university where his son plays football.
Combs was accused of assaulting someone with a kettlebell and arrested last month on three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery after an incident at an athletic training complex at UCLA, the university said at the time.
Ricardo Santiago, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office, said Thursday that prosecutors there have declined to charge Combs with felony assault and battery. They’ve referred the case to the Los Angeles city attorney’s office for misdemeanor filing consideration, he said.
Combs’ attorney, Mark Geragos, said he was grateful for the decision.
“We are thankful that the district attorney rejected felony charges in this matter,” said Geragos, who is a CNN legal analyst. “This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with.”
TMZ, which first reported the alleged assault, said Combs scuffled with a coach during a practice session.
A representative for Combs earlier called accounts of the incident “wholly inaccurate.”
“Any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son,” the representative said in a statement posted on Combs’ website last month. “We are confident that once the true facts are revealed, the case will be dismissed.”